Wednesday 12 October 2011

Statement of Intent...

Start of second year statement of intent form:
in bold are the sections I had to fill out

Individual Practice: Statement of Intent 2
Birmingham Institute of Art and Design
Level 4
School of ArtBA(Hons) Fine Art

Module:
Individual Practice 2: Review and Orientation

Module learning outcomes (on successful completion you will be able to do the following):

  • Demonstrate an extension to knowledge and understanding through imaginative and technical experimentation with processes, methods, materials and contextual research.
  • Apply analytical, critical and reflective skills and investigations
  • Demonstrate a further range of technical and practical skills and investigations
  • Demonstrate creative, practical and organisational skills in broadening and managing a strategy for practice



Summative review of key issues raised in feedback and your previous module self appraisal:
  • Use more photoshop techniques
  • Consider working on a larger scale
  • Focus more on my literal/narrative style (where my stronger work comes form)
  • Consider combines processes




Content of Investigation (including an explanation and rationale for the identified area/subject)

I intend on investigating the topic of existentialism, the study of human existence. Whilst reading the 20th anniversary of Frieze magazine and how art has changed in the last two decades, I decided to look back on my life before I myself turn twenty. Rather than the studying the objective like language, knowledge and science, existentialists look at the subjective like human emotions. Existentialism is believed to be a ‘lived’ philosophy and can also use art to express its beliefs, so seems appropriate for questioning my human existence over my life.

I want to explore what has made me who I am today at this point as I have changed in my lifetime already, it would be interesting to see how I will have changed in another 20 years. But more than that, what makes me change and in turn perhaps others. Through art I can use self-expression to create images that depict my own human existence.

I don’t want it to be a literal self-portrait project, more an exploration of my life in the hope it will make my future artwork richer and more honest.




Processes/Materials/Workshops (describe in relation to the above. How does your choice relate to meaning?)
  • Painting = through style of painting I can express my own emotions (look into new ways/techniques of painting including different mediums.)
  • Ink = sketch/paint with it for quick notes almost on my life or ideas
  • Printing = represent repetition or structured elements in my life? (I want to learn other ways you can print, perhaps screen printing for example)
  • Photoshop = edit photos from my past/image trickery to clarify my point.
  • installation/sculpture = new medium to explore, perhaps take images I created could be transformed into 3D sculptures.


Rather than focusing on these processes and materials separately I’d like to combine them this year to see what I can further create. Painting is the process I am most used to and printing and photoshop were the two most successful materials from last year so it seems appropriate using them on a personal project this year. However I’d like to try new materials to extend my practice and experiment this year.



Contextual Research (identified expansion of prior or new research)
  • Visit Walsall Art Gallery
  • Visit Frieze Art Fair
  • Artists related to existentialist/ focus on human existence
  • Frieze magazine 




No comments:

Post a Comment