Saturday 3 December 2011

Micheal Craig-Martin inspired work...

Using my sketches and Michael Craig-Martin as inspiration I have taken more photos of my living room without anyone in it. Using the stain glass idea I've highlighted the use of the glasses in the room. One evening, every time someone left their drink on the side I put a sweet wrapper of a different colour in the glass. Conveniently the colour from the sweet wrappers spread through the drink to make a stronger colour. I've taken several different photos from different angles and then gathered all of the glasses together and took close up shots to get the best 'stained glass' effect I could. The best were the ones that where taken from an angle looking upwards as I felt like it had the same overwhelming feel you would get when looking up at an elaborate window in a church.


I wanted to highlight the colour in the images, so I edited them in Photoshop to turn everything I didn't need into black and white. These were the most successful:












I took this idea one step further by actually taking away the other elements of the photo so the only thing left was the colour from the glass. They have come out quite abstract but are still vaguely recognisable. It's almost as if a very strong light has been put behind the glasses so that they are all you can see.







Inspired by Michael Craig-Martins style I did the same to some of the photos as I did to my selected sketches. Tracing over the original photo in Photoshop I used simple outlines of all the shapes to create the images below. I purposefully didn't include the christmas tree and other details as I didn't want it to be seasonal or to have a significance to a special occasion seeing as the point is to show it on a 'normal/non-special' day. Selecting the same colour as what was shown in the original photos I coloured in the glasses to once again make them the focus. I like how the  black lines make it look more like a stained glass window effect.















I like the idea of perhaps making these images on a larger scale and cutting out holes where there is colour, putting a translucent film of colour in it's places and hanging it to allow colour to come through. Or I could mark our these lines onto a window with black tape with coloured translucent film again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment