Thursday 2 February 2012

Taking down the stain glass window...

After a while the tape that made my stain glass window started to peel and move so I decided it was time to take it down. Whilst taking off the strips I noticed that one of the windows facing ours from another block in my accommodation had put something up in their window with white masking tape. On closer inspection I could make out that it was a close up of an eye and nose. I wanted to record this as I found it interesting how people from outside the flat, the place where it is basically exhibited and fully experienced, could be involved with the image. I suppose it was obvious that everyone from outside the flat would see it due to it being on a glass window, but to respond was something else. My flatmates know what I'm doing with this project, the opposite flat don't, I wonder what their thoughts were, if there response was one to mock me or to join in and  I wonder if they chose an eye because they're watching our flat, or simply because they had some masking tape and it was the thing that came to they're heads?


Once fully taken down I noticed that the tape had been up for so long that it had left glue marks on the window, in some lights (not very easily captured by camera) you could still see the old image, kind of like a ghost. Interesting considering part of what I'm looking at is what is left behind or what has exhibited, these glue marks are the remains or the stain glass window I made in my flat depicting an image of another time in my flat. 


However, these glues marks have now been scrubbed off to leave a nice clean window leaving no obstructions to the view outside first shot in my train video. Now that my tape drawing has been taken down, I wonder if the opposite flat will keep theirs up for much longer, or if they'll change it in any way...

No comments:

Post a Comment