Sunday 22 January 2012

Final Tutorial before first assessment...

To start this tutorial my tutor and I discussed the work I had previously shown in the group tutorial. Out of the Black and white photographs my tutor felt that the one showing everything in the room (the middle picture in the photo shown below) was the most successful, the more you look at it the more you question the action around the glasses, picture the people that could have been there and why they're not there now. Also the placement of certain items, for example the cushion with a dinosaur on it, is so personal that it makes you think about the type of person that might own it. This description makes me think that it's almost a portrait of the my flat, the physical and the those that habit it.

Something that my tutor brought up on a different note was that the scene looked almost science fiction because of the absence of the people in the room. If it was one glass it would suggest that maybe someone was getting ready and had to leave in a rush, if it was a night maybe everyone went out and if it was messy then it could be the remains of the night before. However this scene looks like it was stopped in action during the day and the people have just been taken out, possibly abducted. I was recommended two artists that reminded my tutor of this, Gregory Crewdson and Jeff Wall. Both look at the authenticity of photography and are famous for physically creating a scene and then photographing it. Crewdson uses the same process as those in the film industry, building sets and using massive film lights and having actors play their part to create one still shot. When looking at his work I can see the creepiness of the shots that my tutor was talking about. Something unnerving about the people that are in it, always stood as though not moving or caught out doing something odd. All are in dark places, lots of blues and blacks but lit but some form of spot light.


Jeff Wall also creates a set for his photographs, but not as cinematic as Crewdson but still like a film with the set up and actors, they just seem to appear more like a low budget independent movie.


When looking at the Michael Craig-Martin inspired examples I had made my tutor comment that they had a painterly quality and possible printed. Seeing as these are my favourite practices I think I would enjoy moving these designs and style into these methods. when looking at the difference between the hand drawn edited versions and the computer edited versions you can see a similar style but different qualities. My tutor said that she felt that the hand drawn edits seemed more personal as they could have been effected by the person drawing them, I was pleased with this response as the initial idea for my hand drawings was to show the room from my perspective rather than the camera shots I have produced to show the room. A suggestion was to perhaps combine these two processes, the graphic sharp lines (which were compared to architectural drawings) and the hand drawn quality.

Something that we noticed was that where I also found the most successful image to be the one looking down on the living room I have used it a lot on the work I have moved onto, so I need to produce a lot more images  giving me choice to get the best pieces to work with. When I look at capturing more images I know what to look for now, I need to concentrate on the space around the objects, focusing on the idea of the absence of the figure yet the presence of the person.

When talking about the stain glass window I create it was suggested that the work was strongest when experienced, obviously as the window was displayed in my flat it couldn't be moved so the only way to document it was through photographs which weakens the effect of actually being there. However the image relates to that site and highlights the movement in time around it but showing what the room used to look like. Also the projection made by the lines also would be better when viewed in person seeing as they can move around the room in the time you're there, almost like a sundial, the audience in that sense are my flatmates.

Due to the relationship between the room  in the image and where it was displayed I was recommended to look at Miwon Kwon and her theories on site specific art. I need to take a lot more photos of lots of different sites trying to capture the same presence as I have my chosen image. I could create methods to show these new images in different locations, for example my tutor suggested making a free standing frame that I could slot perspex into, each with a different scene in the style I have been using, when placed in the appropriate settings it could be viewed at different times, changing every time. Also perhaps looking at windows in different locations to create new stain glass windows relating to the location.

No comments:

Post a Comment