Thursday 19 January 2012

Photos from my environment...

After making my own stain glass window I wanted to produce other ways to make this 'everyday moment' appear special. An idea I has was to enlarge it on a grand scale. Whilst walking around town I decided to take photos of my environment, extending it from the indoors to the outside, my routes home and what I see on my daily walks for inspiration. Something that I spotted along the way was a massive billboard placed onto a temporary facade for the renovation of a building. The scale and placement of this billboard (next to an A road) shows the length an advertisement can go to to be visible, the size is probably for the people in cars to be able to see it but as a pedestrian it is quite overwhelming to walk underneath.



Whilst crossing another road there was another billboard placed in a way that was clearly for those passing by in their cars. I like the idea of almost placing my image as an obstruction like the advertisements are for the drivers.


When looking for an appropriate place to put my image I noticed an large plan for the 'Big City Plan'. In the east side of Birmingham, which is where I currently live, there is a large development plan to transform the area, part of which is the new BIAD building that I have been recording the changes of via the webcam footage. Surrounding this large building side is large white panelled walls which remind me of the sort we have in our studio space. These boards are all along the path way to my home (which you can see in the background of the photo below) so would be perfect to display my image on a large scale as a disruption in the white space that a pedestrian would follow.


The following are what I think of as appropriate photos or spaces to display the work, whether that be a plain white space or including my accommodation in the background:










I find the derelict building (shown above and below) as an interesting comparison against the new developments that would be going on around it, especially to see how this building could be transformed. 


The only thing that broke up the white wall was some wired fencing which you could see my accommodation through, almost caging it in.


 From the same spot you could see the building works for the BIAD building, this just reminded me of how some felt like my film of the trains look as though I was distant and far away from the going ons in the city area. The fencing in front of both my home and the developments around me seem to form a barrier and a large space like it does in the film.





Whilst walking along the canal (which goes inside the white wall) I noticed that from a certain point you could see the water, a derelict home and a crane from the building work. The composition of it reminded me of the scene from my window, the way that it's layered and how the crates outside my flat reminded someone of water or waves, in the same position as the canal below.


No comments:

Post a Comment