Wednesday 16 November 2011

Other practical work...

Along with the work that I had shown in my tutorials I have been producing/recording other work as well. One of the ideas I had early on was the recording of construction happening in my environment to show it's creation into a static object that would later become just another building in my vision when walking/driving//taking a journey to what ever destination. Like a humans existence a building has a lifespan, birth, a purpose and a death.

 Something that caught my eye recently was the construction of the new BIAD (Birmingham Institute of Art and Design) building for several reasons; it is part of my university, it is on my journey into town and to my own university building, it is in sight of my current accommodation, the construction has disturbed my normal route into town and a lot of my flatmates use the current BIAD building as part of their course. All of these components make, what will soon be just another building for me to walk by, impossible to ignore. At the moment the university have put a webcam on the side of the Millennium Point Building, located next to the construction site which will soon have a bridge joining the two buildings together. What I liked about this set up is that you can see the development of the building happening everyday but also that in the top right hand corner you can see my accommodation, the same setting that the film of the trains has been taken from and the photographs of the living room and bedroom have been taken in.

Like my photographs of my bedroom and living everyday I have been recording, in screen shots, the construction of the new BIAD building. Like my previous photos, the more I take the more it becomes a series showing the movement and the build up of the creation of this building, however unlike my previous photos showing the existence of a presence in that room these images look like the growth of a living object, like a plant it builds, moves and is active. I have noticed that when the scene becomes dark the light tends to bounce off surrounding objects obstructing the view of the construction, but these reflections of light add to a beauty to the images and emphasise the idea that they it is something that can't be controlled, as though even when the workers have gone home and the construction has stopped for the night the building is not sleeping but in fact coming alive.






Once I have a large collection of these images I could see if they work best as a series to go alongside my other series, or to experiment with the idea of overlapping and editing the images like Grazia Toderi to make a more appealing an hypnotising image. This would fit into the direction my project seems to be going into at the moment which is making an everyday moment or moments become special by highlighting it's insignificance and focusing on it's existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment