Wednesday 9 November 2011

Tutorial...

For my Tutorial I showed my tutor the things I had been looking at so far for my practical. The first was my recordings of trains at different times of the day. The camera was set up on my window sill in the same position everyday keeping everything that I can see from my window in the frame. I mentioned how I liked the   audio on the recordings as well, how in the background of the footage you could here my flats daily conversations about mundane topics like shopping or reminiscing. Below are some screen captures of the footage: 


Along with this I showed some photographs of my living room and bedroom that had been taken morning and night. Like the train recordings it is taken from the same angle everyday. I like how when placed together as a series you can see the small differences each day, there are no literal images of the tenants moving things around but there is a presence of people having lived in the room.





Although I have other ideas my tutor said that she couldn't help but think of these series being shown together some how. The view from the window can't be separated from the pictures of the room it was filmed in, especially as you can see the window.So it might be an idea to think of a way of bringing these images together, whether that be immediately in one form or in the presentation of the two on completion.

My tutor also suggested the following artist to look at in relation to my work; George Shaw (for his paintings of unattractive areas that are made beautiful with his attention to them), Grazia Toderi (for his video of La Biennale, the festival in Venice, filmed from an aerial view to create a beautiful scene which slowly and subtly moving) and Ellie Harrison (who meticulously records moments in her life in Day To Day Data)





No comments:

Post a Comment