Wednesday 16 November 2011

Tutorial...

In my latest tutorial (Tuesday 8th November) I showed my tutor the actual footage from my camera (which I unfortunately can't upload onto here at the moment, probably need to figure out formatting etc). But the footage I showed to my tutor hadn't been completely edited. I wanted the  footage from outside my living room window to be snipped into clips where the trains go past but with no gaps in between. I did this as I wasn't sure if the gaps in the film would work, especially as I had about 9 hours worth of footage I thought it would be good to focus on what the film was about. However when I showed what I had produced to my tutor so far what drew her into in was the pauses in between, in those moments nothing changes in the scene, everything is still until a train goes past and disturbs it all, catching your attention.

It was watching this that made my tutor question whether cutting down the footage was such a good idea. I collected my footage in 40 minute segments (as that's all that my camera can capture at one time). My tutor suggested to perhaps play all the 40 minute segments at one time on different screens to see the comparisons of the days. Another possibility would be to play it as one continuous 8/9 hour film played in the background of whatever chosen setting. I could also experiment with how the film could be displayed; projection, screen, audio, no audio? Only by trying these options can I find out what works best, which includes continuing editing the footage down to just trains so I can compare it to what else I try.

I have also continued to take photographs of my room and living room day and night. The more I take the more interesting it becomes. As a series the differences between the images become more obvious and so provide the evidence of some one having existed in that space. The more images I collect the more this will become apparent. Like Grazia Toderi's Orbite Rosse (Red Orbits) see the differences make the whole collection come alive. The decision again is how to be displayed, as a series, a film, stopmotion, overlapping? Only time will tell, but for now I will keep on collecting. It is an on going project but it can stop and show a moment in time.

Bedroom.




Living Room.




The final thing I showed to my tutor was a collection of sketches I had produced over the previous days. Each are an image from my own perspective. Drawings of meaningless things that I wouldn't normally notice but are always there, always a part of my day and most importantly, leave a trace of my day.





I unintentionally drew each in a different style, perhaps this reflects my mood or my patience at the time. I like that it adds a question to the simplicity of the context. I initially decided to make these drawings as a way of showing my view on my existence as a change from recording from an outsiders perspective. Now I can only imagine them being shown along side my images of my room and living room, as they are so clearly different angles of the same room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment