Monday 7 May 2012

Canvas cut outs...

So, continuing with my idea of the importance a stain glass window represents by using simple outlines in my work I have thought about how to develop the use of shadow and play on light in my drawings. When testing light coming from behind canvases there would have been a problem with light it up consistently enough to get a clear image. The collograph print made me think about how you can cut away at the card to create level which produce different amounts of light. whilst considering these ideas I wanted to look into more of the detail of the old office building in one of my previous drawings, thinking of the missing windows and combining this with the idea of cutting away I thought of cutting away whole peices of canvas to reveal the wall when hung up instead of a light. I would only cut away the window to give the illusion of 3D but also represent the gaps in the building due to it having been damaged. 
Using the idea of stain glass and the use of acetate I filled in accurately the panes of glass that actually still remain in the building with the parts that are damaged as well so that it can be a record of how the building looks before it is repaired and remind the audience of the imperfections at present. The gaps in the canvas produce shadows on the wall behind which, like the stain glass window in my living room, with move dependant on the time of day.


I developed this even further by drawing onto the canvas one of my previous ideas only thins time cutting everything away but the line, then I painted the whole canvas black to look like the black seal you get on satin glass windows. Because of the amount of material that was cut away the canvas sagged so I put some perspex behind it to hold up the lines but still allow the silhouette to cast a shadow on the wall.


I'm not sure about this one, I like the lines and how it relates to the black tape on my window, even the perspex makes it better as it seems more like glass and adds an interesting surface, but I'm not sure what it says by showing this image in this way, unlike the white line canvas previous to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment