Sunday 6 May 2012

Contacting Birmingham City Council...

Considering the importance of the site in my work and how I had been looking at the derelict Office building on Belmont Row, I decided that it could be a good idea to put up my drawings on a large scale onto the white board space that surrounds the area, in the hope that they would look like the photoshop edits I had made in my last assessment. For this to happen I would have to collaborate with the council to make sure no regulations were being broken and to get full permission to put up my work in a public space. The following is my current conversation (via e-mail) to the council:


To Whom It May Concern,

I am currently studying at Birmingham City University's School of Art. As part of my second year practice I have been looking at the development around the Digbeth area, trying to capture it's current stage and to present it in a simplistic way so that we can not only remember how the development all began but also see the dramatic change in front of our eyes. Along the same theme I have previously tried showing the images I've created in the environment in which it was taken, this works particularly well with the idea of being able to see the change that has happened. I apologise to randomly spring upon you a brief explanation of my practice but I'm hoping there is something you can help me with.

Due to the site that the work is shown in being important I wanted to know if it was possible to display some of my images on the large white boards around the building works that currently surround Millennium Point and the new BIAD building. I am happy to do my own labour, either painting onto the space itself or transfer it onto the wall itself, however if you'd be able to help that would be amazing. I have designs available to send you along with previous images I've photoshopped on the white spaces with other designs applied that I can show you to give an idea of the effect I would like to create. They are not offensive images in context or design and as a BCU student I think this would be a fantastic opportunity to show the council collaborating and encouraging the creative that this university produces.

If this is at all possible I would be very grateful of your help, whether that be permission to use one single board (even if it's one on Belmont Row at the back of all the construction and completely out of the way) or if you could give me any information/contact details on how I can make this happen.

Thank you for taking the time to read this e-mail, I would appreciate if you could get back to me as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Kate-Marie Carter


_________________________________________________________________


Hi Kate-Marie

I have been passed your e mail and asked if I can assist you. I am the project Manager for the Eastside City Park

The idea sounds interesting but I will need some more detail from you, in particular the space you would ideally require and some designs /ideas you have. Do you have something you can e mail to me?

You need to be aware that the hoardings are in several ownerships. I am able to give approval for the hoardings around the City Park (with contractors approval) plus those around the vacant sites along inner ring road. The hoardings around the BIAD site are predominantly covered with existing images, however if you wish to pursue this site you would need to contact the BCU project team direct for permission. (I can give you their contact details if you require)

To start with, if you can send me some more details as requested above and confirm if your preferred option is to paint on the hoardings of fix previously prepared signs.

Regards

Jim

Jim Wilson
Project Manager


_________________________________________________________________


Hi Jim,

Thank you for replying, I really appreciate your interest in my idea.

At the moment I have been working on some design to be shown around the large derelict works on Belmont Row at the end joining Jennons Road, so ideally it would be best to show the piece(s) on the white boards that surround that building or on the opposite side of the road facing the building.

I've attached a few pictures which I hope will help. These include my first original design (so improvements or alterations may be made if necessary) which were hand drawn and then scanned into the computer to be edited. The same design follows, but coloured in full, next Photoshop edits of the possible image when applied to chosen space in front of (or opposite) the Belmont Row Works. I have also included some additional options of photos that can be turned into a similar design to either be shown with the first design along the white boards, or instead of the original. The idea with the additional photos is to show the detail with in the building and emphasis the current empty space with in it. I am looking into the history of this spot as part of my investigation into the development of the Eastside area, so there is the possibility of more images to come with more detail into what this building has been before it is restored. Although obviously even one of my ideas being aloud to go ahead would be fantastic.

I am able to do either painting onto the board itself or to create large posters which can be pasted onto the surface. I would probably prefer to painting onto the wall so that I can adjust the scale as well as having the hand drawn effect, but if you prefer for me to print it off first and apply it that way then I would be more than okay with that. There is also the possibility of painting onto/postering onto my own large boards that could be attached to the white walls if there is a problem with application straight onto the boards that protect the building areas.

Thank you for your time and for considering my work.

Regards

Kate-Marie Carter
 







I am still waiting on a reply since the last message, if I still don't hear anything for a while then I will try again but so far the response seems to have been positive and it looks as though I might actually be able to put my work up where I had originally intended! 

No comments:

Post a Comment