Monday 7 May 2012

Tom Fruin...

Whilst looking for interesting ways of using of using glass etc, I  found New York artist Tom Fruin's installation 'Kolonihavehus'. Kolonihavehuses were originally small garden sheds that were designed to give cramped and often impoverished city-dwellers a small plot and a refuge from city life. This definition seems appropriate for the what it creates in the dense city area, some refreshing bright and colourful art shining over this small urban plot.

A contextual response to the multi-colored lights found downtown at night. Thousand of plexi-glass scraps went into its construction, culled from closed-down factories and dumpster-diving expeditions in the area – they were then meticulously assembled within a dark framework providing structural support and visual boundaries.

The thing I like most about this house is the projection it makes onto the street, the art proceeds the object itself and rather than just placing an object in an area it physically becomes part of it. This reminds me of my 'stain glass window' that I had made onto the living room window in my flat which I had placed into the room but it was when the sun moved and image was projected across the room that the piece really came to life. So far I have been considering ways that I could make something that is possible to be transported so that it's location can be changed but if I can keep the effect of projection in the work then maybe it can infect the space it is in and become part of it no matter where it is placed, like this house.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment