Sunday 6 May 2012

Watercolour and ink...

After looking at Dale Chihuly I decided to play around with some watercolours and inks to get the same drippy effect and concentrate on colours that would look translucent when watered down as though they have bright light shone behind them. There was no context or reference to what the images would look like, just an experiment to see how I could vary the application of the paint onto the page.





Seeing as so much of my work has been edited on the computer I thought it would be appropriate to scan in these testers and see what can be done with them, repeating, positioning and making pieces translucent. The more interesting edits were those that had been heavily edited, lots of layers and effects, which is very different to what I have been doing up till this point. Where my drawings have been very minimal with just basic outlines and flat colour, I feel that the idea of the everyday and mundane are made clearer as there is a blankness and a universal feel to the environments in which I have shown due to the lack of detail. In these edits, although looking more like the colours and detail you would see in a traditional stain glass window, there seems to be too much energy going on as though an activity is taking place. The idea of my work is to show the existence of a person without there presence being shown in the actual image, I think that the emptyness of the direction I have been going in so far shows this more successfully as if I were to incorporate this style at this stage it would become more about the technique and the activity occuring at the time rather than what has taken place in the past. 






 



No comments:

Post a Comment